Sound mind for healthy living
Mental wellness is a state of wellbeing in which you are able to use your cognitive and emotional abilities, function in society and meet the demands of everyday life.
Studies have shown 1 in 5 people will experience a mental illness sometime in their life. One way to keep mentally healthy is to watch out for symptoms.
Common indicators for mental disorders include:
- Depression that lasts more than a few weeks
- Confused thoughts, delusions and or hallucinations
- Extreme fear or anxiety over a seemingly small mishap
- Lack of motivation for a prolonged period of time
- Persistent feelings of helplessness or hopelessness
- Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed
- Extreme mood swings
- Difficulty concentrating and/or sudden irritability
- Disruption to usual sleep patterns
- Talk or thoughts of suicide
While it might not be easy to talk about some of these symptoms, the sooner the person seeks help, the better he/she will be prepared to manage a mental illness.
If you are concerned about your friend or if you personally feel overwhelmed by life’s stressors, you are not alone.There are trained professionals to help. We encourage you to approach the counsellor at SIM GE or consult a doctor/general practitioner.
Some tips to maintain mental wellness:
- Set aside time for breaks to relax everyday
- Recognise and manage negative thoughts
- Set priorities
- Strive to attain wellness in the other dimensions – physical, emotional, mental and social
- Be part of a social support group – family or friends